Monday, February 18, 2008

Nicaragua

My trip to Nicaragua was great. I learned a lot and am ready to learn more. I can now see why a lot of the people have moved from Nicaragua to Costa Rica. It is a very poor country. Even the horses were starving. The homes were beautiful. All the homes were well built and fairly big even the ones in the poorer areas. I felt very safe while I was there. We spent most of our time in the town of Leon. It was very nice. We stayed in what they called a hostel but it was more of a bed and breakfast. It was amazing! You can't really tell much about the houses from the outside but if there is a door open you can see a sitting room and through the sitting room is a courtyard that is just awesome. We were able to go to the beach one day and it's definitely a surfer's beach. The tide was really rough but lots of good waves. We were able to walk around the town at night which is unusual. When we saw the school kids were still hanging out in the park you knew it had to be pretty safe. The guys did what was the equivalent of snow boarding down the side of a volcano. That was pretty cool. The whole trip was good and I can't wait to go back. The ladies in the precario were so excited that I had been there and they had lots of questions and things to share. I'm sure it helps them see that I truly am interested in them and where they came from.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Wow, that's quite the bus story! I'm glad the scary trip was worth it. :) Love reading your blog!