Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A gentle reminder

I was able to take some time in the states recently. It was a great trip. I got to visit with family and lots of friends as well as attend a really good conference. I got back last week. It is great to be back! I flew in on Thursday night and Friday jumped right back in to everything here. Friday night is our time to go downtown with coffee and cookies for the homeless and the prostitutes. I had really missed that while I was in the states. I was really looking forward to going. I left at the usual time about 9pm. I decided that I should try to get a taxi. I did wait and wait, so I decided to just walk to the office. While I was walking I felt like I heard "you are not this naive". Hmmm... Well I guess so I'm out here walking by myself after dark. Anyway I was fine no one robbed me or anything like that. We went downtown as usual. I did get a ride back to my house so no walking alone after midnight. After I unlocked the door and stepped inside I noticed that I was standing in broken glass! That was a strange feeling. I didn't even see the hole in the window when I walked up. Then once I was inside I couldn't decide if I should stay inside or go outside. I called Mark (the owner) and he talked to me while I waited for the police to come. It all worked out fine. Nothing was stolen. We think it was some kid or a drunk that threw a rock through the window. I'm just glad I wasn't here when it happened. From now on I'll get a taxi and try to take a little more notice of things as I let myself in at night.


No comments: